The writing process, no matter how much we avoid it, will always include edits. Even this blog entry, and my facebook status updates go through edits. They may not be as elaborate as a novel or short story edit, but one way or another everyone does them.
I'm doing my second round of edits on my first novel, and I've never experienced anything like it. (The first round I do as I write. I know some people say you shouldn’t do this, but as I read the previous entry to forge ahead I compulsively give in.) It's hard to know if you're cutting the right thing, or if you're moving things around in the right way. Not to mention, there is always going to be that one thing you love but have to get rid of to benefit the flow of the story
I really am between a rock and a hard place right now. I feel sad, confused, tired, and frustrated. I want to be in that happy place again where I loved my story but with the addition of being proud of its perfection.
Any personal tips you’d like to share? Is there a round of emotions you go through, or a personal struggle you find yourself in?
While I’m talking about editing, here is a link to a very helpful blog post on revising. (She also lists a ton of other links on the subject.)
http://adventuresinagentland.blogspot.com/2011/05/ponder-polish-perfect-how-to.html#links
Adventures in Agentland is written by Natalie M. Fischer, Assistant Agent at the Bradford Literary Agency
No comments:
Post a Comment